UN's food agency says over 60 percent of Yemenis face famine

Written by  Published by:Shiite News
Published in Yemen
Thursday, 16 March 2017


The UN food agency has warned that over half of Yemenis are on the brink of famine as the Arab country continues to be hit by relentless Saudi airstrikes.

In a report issued on Wednesday, the World Food Programme (WFP) said that 60 percent of Yemenis, or 17 million people, were in “crisis” or “emergency” food situations.

"If humanitarian actors do not access all the people in need by the coming months, the situation may deteriorate dramatically," the report said.
The WFP warned that the provinces of Ta'izz and Hudaydah risked sinking into famine if they did not receive more aid.

It noted that the two Red Sea provinces "have the highest rates of global acute malnutrition in the country, ranging from 17 percent in Ta'izz city to 25 percent in Hudaydah."

According to the report, the other worst-affected Yemeni provinces are Lahij, Abyan, Sa’ada, Hajjah and Shabwah.

The Saudi military campaign has killed over 12,000 Yemenis since March 2015, according to a right NGO.

The Saudi war has also inflicted heavy damage on the impoverished country’s infrastructure.

Last month, the UN humanitarian chief warned that four countries were facing famine and starvation, and named Yemen as the most-affected one.

Stephen O'Brien said there were three million more chronically hungry people in Yemen than in January.

Rating: 5 Read 270 times

Leave a comment

Shia Genocide Report 2016

Shia Genocide Report 2016 - Shia Killing in Pakistan 2016

Fall of ISIS in Aleppo

Halab Syria - News

Featured Video

Like our Facebook

Dailymotion

Connet With Us

Largest Portal of Shia News from allover the World | Pakistan News - Iran News - Resistance News - Saudi Arabia News

 

Contact Us

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Website: http://www.shiitenews.org

JoomShaper