Taliban attack on military kills over 100 in Afghanistan Wardak province

Written by  Published by:Shiite News
Published in Asia
Tuesday, 22 January 2019


Western media reported that over a 100 people were killed  in a Taliban-claimed attack on a military compound in central Afghanistan although first rep[ort suggested death toll to over 12.

"The Taliban used a Humvee vehicle to hit the compound," Taheri added.
Provincial health director Mohammad Salim Asgharkhail confirmed the toll.
"Some wounded people were taken to hospitals in Kabul for further treatment as they were in critical condition," said Asgharkhail.
Provincial governor spokesman Abdul Rahman Mangal said the huge blast had also partially damaged the base.
The Taliban — who have been waging a 17-year war against the Western-backed Afghan government — later claimed responsibility for the assault.
The attack comes a day after a Taliban suicide bomber targeted the convoy of Logar province's governor, killing at least seven security guards.
Fights between security forces and Taliban fighters have continued to intensify across the country during the frigid Afghan winter, which traditionally experiences a lull in fighting.

The Guardian reported that the Taliban launched a major attack on an Afghan military compound in central Maidan Wardak province, officials have said, with some putting the death toll at more than 100 people.

Monday’s incident at a campus of the National Directorate of Security (NDS) is the latest in a series of deadly attacks in recent months by the Taliban, which has seized control of about half of Afghanistan.

The Afghan authorities said the attack started on Monday morning, when a US-made armoured Humvee vehicle was driven into the compound and blown up. Gunmen also opened fire, before being killed by security forces.

 

">

 

 

The Guardian reported that the Taliban launched a major attack on an Afghan military compound in central Maidan Wardak province, officials have said, with some putting the death toll at more than 100 people.

Monday’s incident at a campus of the National Directorate of Security (NDS) is the latest in a series of deadly attacks in recent months by the Taliban, which has seized control of about half of Afghanistan.

The Afghan authorities said the attack started on Monday morning, when a US-made armoured Humvee vehicle was driven into the compound and blown up. Gunmen also opened fire, before being killed by security forces.

The attack began after a vehicle loaded with explosives rammed into the entrance of a compound in Maidan Shahr — the capital of Wardak province that lies about 50 kilometres south of the capital Kabul.

At least three gunmen stormed the base following the explosion, igniting a firefight with Afghan security forces. All three gunmen were later killed in the exchange, according to a provincial official.
"So far our reports show 12 have been killed and 20 wounded, most of whom were Afghan security forces," Akhtar Mohammad Taheri — the head of Wardak provincial council — told AFP.
"The Taliban used a Humvee vehicle to hit the compound," Taheri added.
Provincial health director Mohammad Salim Asgharkhail confirmed the toll.
"Some wounded people were taken to hospitals in Kabul for further treatment as they were in critical condition," said Asgharkhail.
Provincial governor spokesman Abdul Rahman Mangal said the huge blast had also partially damaged the base.
The Taliban — who have been waging a 17-year war against the Western-backed Afghan government — later claimed responsibility for the assault.
The attack comes a day after a Taliban suicide bomber targeted the convoy of Logar province's governor, killing at least seven security guards.
Fights between security forces and Taliban fighters have continued to intensify across the country during the frigid Afghan winter, which traditionally experiences a lull in fighting.

The Guardian reported that the Taliban launched a major attack on an Afghan military compound in central Maidan Wardak province, officials have said, with some putting the death toll at more than 100 people.

Monday’s incident at a campus of the National Directorate of Security (NDS) is the latest in a series of deadly attacks in recent months by the Taliban, which has seized control of about half of Afghanistan.

The Afghan authorities said the attack started on Monday morning, when a US-made armoured Humvee vehicle was driven into the compound and blown up. Gunmen also opened fire, before being killed by security forces.

 

Rating: 5 Read 389 times

Leave a comment

Shia Genocide Report 2016 - Shia Killing in Pakistan 2016

Halab Syria - News

Featured Video

Dailymotion

Connet With Us

Largest Portal of Shia News from allover the World | Pakistan News - Iran News - Resistance News - Saudi Arabia News

 

Contact Us

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Website: http://www.shiitenews.org

JoomShaper